Johnson & Johnson Vision to Showcase New Contact Lens Innovations and Research at the 2021 BCLA Virtual Conference
- Clinical data to be presented on the importance of supporting stable tear film in contact lenses for comfort and image quality; approaches to managing myopia, presbyopia, astigmatism and more
- Eye care professionals invited to hear about retaining and supporting presbyopic patients with advanced multifocal contact lens designs, including the latest ACUVUE® OASYS MULTIFOCAL with PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN, launching across Europe this year
LONDON – JUNE 9, 2021 – Johnson & Johnson Vision*, a global leader in eye health and part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies**, will highlight new eye care innovation and clinical data at the 2021 British Contact Lens Association (BCLA) Virtual Conference and Exhibition from 13 – 14 June.
A platinum sponsor of the event, the company will be hosting two featured presentations along with a series of talks and research papers covering a range of topics, from the impact of tear film and image quality, to its latest contact lens innovation, ACUVUE® OASYS MULTIFOCAL with PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN. The PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN technology uses a unique optical design system that is optimised by incorporating the natural pupil variation that occurs across the refractive error range and in patients as they age.
ACUVUE® OASYS MULTIFOCAL with PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN is the newest member of the ACUVUE® OASYS brand family for patients with presbyopia and is launching across Europe this year.
“We have always been focused on supporting eye care practitioners and their patients with eye-inspired innovations and we are excited to share some of our latest work at this year’s BCLA conference,” said Sandra Rasche, Area Vice President, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Vision Care, Johnson & Johnson Medical GmbH.*** “The continued interest in learning and collaboration across the industry over the last year despite COVID-19 has been inspiring, and we look forward to opportunities like this to connect in a new virtual setting.”
Virtual engagement and support
With the BCLA conference being held virtually this year, Johnson & Johnson Vision will be helping provide eye care professionals across the globe access to scientific presentations, education, industry trends, innovation and discussion around improving the patient experience via a dedicated online conference platform. Participants will have access to a 30-hour livestream of presentations and access to recorded content for six months.
Johnson & Johnson Vision will be hosting multiple educational presentations and talks as part of the 2021 BCLA programme for attendees to hear from leading experts on the latest innovations in contact lenses.
- The Vision Behind the Tears Sunday
13th June, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm BST
A review of the impact of tear film quality on visual experience and how to mitigate a loss of homeostasis in contact lens wearers to improve visual performance. Presented by Professor Jennifer Craig, Head of Ocular Surface Laboratory, University of Auckland, and Charles Scales, Digital Health & Analytics Lead, Johnson & Johnson Vision
- Maintaining a Lifetime of Contact Lens Wear
Sunday, 13th June, 5:30 – 6:00 pm BST
Benefits of continuing contact lens wear in presbyopia and behind the scenes look at ACUVUE® PUPIL OPTIMISED DESIGN technology. Presented by Dr. Greg Williby, Principal Engineer, Johnson & Johnson Vision Care and David Ruston, Director, Global Professional Education and Development at Johnson & Johnson Vision
Sessions on scientific papers
Eight research papers and posters presented at BCLA by Johnson & Johnson Vision will be covered:
Scientific paper sessions
- Myopia Management
Sunday, 13th June, 3:00 – 5:00 pm BST
- Controlling myopia progression with novel soft contact lenses. Presented by by Dr. Xu Cheng, Sr. Principal Clinical Scientist, Johnson & Johnson Vision
- Initial reduction of axial length during myopia management. Presented by Dr. Noel Brennan, Clinical Research Fellow, Johnson & Johnson Vision
Sunday 13th June, 3:00 – 5:00 pm BST
- Clinical performance and coefficient of friction of cosmetic printed etafilcon A with polyvinylpyrrolidone contact lenses. Presented by Meredith Bishop, OD, MS, FAAO, Senior Principal Research Optometrist, Johnson & Johnson Vision
- Maintaining Safe & Comfortable Contact Lens Wear
Monday 14th June, 1:30 – 2:30 am BST
- Potential relationships between CLDEQ-8 groups and objective ocular measures. Presented by Dr. Vrushali Korde, Research & Development Patient Insights Lead and Principal Engineer, Johnson & Johnson Vision.
- Probing the Effects of Divalent Cations on the Lubricating Properties of Daily-Wear Contact Lenses. Presented by Dr. Samuele Tosatti, PhD Surface Modification, CEO SuSoS AG, Zürich
- Anatomy and Physiology
Monday 14th June, 5:45 – 7:15 pm BST
- Ocular Surface Immune Cells Profile in Contact Lens-induced Discomfort. Presented by Dr. Bailin Liang, Senior Principal Scientist, Johnson & Johnson Vision
Attendees are invited to review two free posters:
- Visual Performance of a New Silicone Hydrogel Multifocal with Pupil Optimised Design Technology, by Dr. Greg Williby, Principal Engineer, Johnson & Johnson Vision Care
- Silicone Hydrogel Contact Lenses Retain and Document Ocular Surface Lipid Mediator Profiles, by Dr. Karsten Gronert, Professor of Optometry and Vision Science, Berkeley School of Optometry
Sponsor and Sessions
Johnson & Johnson Vision will also host a talk during the Sponsor Sessions on helping astigmats see well with toric contact lenses:
- Toric Contact Lenses - Covering All Angles
Sponsor and Exhibitor Updates Sessions
Dr. Rachel Hiscox, Professional Education & Development Manager, UK & Ireland, Johnson & Johnson Vision
Johnson & Johnson Vision created a microsite dedicated for attendees of the conference, to explore the presentation sessions and materials available on ACUVUE® multifocal innovation, ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day, ACUVUE® solutions for astigmatism and myopia management. Visit jjvevents-emea.com/bcla to learn more.
About Johnson & Johnson Vision*
At Johnson & Johnson Vision*, part of Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, we have a bold ambition: to change the trajectory of eye health worldwide. Through our operating companies, we deliver innovation that enables eye care professionals to create better outcomes for patients throughout their lives, with products and technologies that address unmet needs including refractive error, cataracts, and dry eye. In communities with greatest need, we work in collaboration to expand access to quality eye care, and we are committed to helping people see better, connect better, live better. Visit us at jjvision.com, follow @JNJVision on Twitter, Johnson & Johnson Vision on LinkedIn, and @JNJVision on Facebook.
About Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies**
At Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, we are helping people live their best lives. Building on more than a century of expertise, we tackle pressing healthcare challenges, and take bold steps that lead to new standards of care while improving people’s healthcare experiences. In surgery, orthopaedics, vision, and interventional solutions, we are helping to save lives and paving the way to a healthier future for everyone, everywhere.
Important Safety Information: ACUVUE® Contact Lenses are indicated for vision correction. As with any contact lens, eye problems, including corneal ulcers, can develop. Some wearers may experience mild irritation, itching or discomfort. Contact lenses should not be used in case of eye infections or any other eye conditions, or in case of a systemic disease that may affect the eye. For complete information, including contraindications, precautions and adverse reactions, please consult the Instructions for Use.
ACUVUE OASYS is a trademark of Johnson & Johnson Vision Care (Ireland) T/A Vision Care Ireland RSC.
©Johnson & Johnson Vision Care Inc., 2021. All rights reserved.
*Johnson & Johnson Vision represents the products and services of Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision, Inc., Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc., and the affiliates of both.
**The Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies comprise the surgery, orthopedics, vision, and interventional solutions businesses within Johnson & Johnson’s Medical Devices segment
***Sandra Rasche is an employee of Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc., with oversight of the Vision Care business for the EMEA region.
1 JJV Data on File 2021. ACUVUE PUPIL OPTIMIZED DESIGN Technology: JJVC Contact Lenses, Design Features, and Associated Benefits.