Johnson & Johnson Vision Presents New Myopia Progression Research and New Findings from Studies of Contact Lens Wearers with Dry Eye at the American Academy of Optometry Annual Meeting
Retrospective analysis of three trials evaluating ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day with HydraLuxe™ demonstrate a clinically meaningful and statistically significant difference in the reduction of dry eye symptoms and improved comfort among both daily disposable and reusable contact lens wearers who are symptomatic in their habitual lens wear.
JACKSONVILLE, FLA, October 7, 2020 – Johnson & Johnson Vision*, a global leader in eye health and part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies**, announced clinical data from the latest in myopia research at the American Academy of Optometry's virtual annual meeting (Academy 2020). Investigators will also reveal findings that demonstrate how ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day with Hydraluxe™ Technology Contact Lenses reduced dry eye symptoms in contact lens wearers who are symptomatic in their habitual lens wear.
"Myopia is a chronic and sometimes progressive disease that poses one of the biggest threats to eye health, with children 12 and younger being the most vulnerable," said Thomas Swinnen, President, North America, Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. “Johnson & Johnson Vision is taking a holistic approach in collaboration with various universities and research institutes. Together, we are working to deliver new, evidence-based solutions for patients with myopia and their care providers."
“Over the next few decades, half of the world’s population is expected to be myopic, and it is estimated that one billion will have high myopia,”1 said Noel Brennen, BOptom, MScOptom, PhD, FAAO and Global Lead, Myopia Control, Johnson & Johnson Vision. "In Singapore, for example, one in two children develop myopia by the age of 12,2 and 75% of teenagers are myopic and rely on glasses3. Left unchecked, in some patients, myopia can lead to blindness or other eye health conditions that can severely impact vision and overall well-being."
Johnson & Johnson Vision researchers highlight findings from several studies in myopia at Academy 2020, including:
- Risk of Becoming Highly Myopic (< -5.00 D) By Age of First Spectacles in Children - Noel Brennan, Xu Cheng, Youssef Toubouti, Mark Bullimore
- We Can’t Predict Future Axial Elongation in Myopic Children with Confidence - Alex Nixon, Xu Cheng, Youssef Toubouti, Mark Bullimore, Noel Brennan
- A Model of Visual Impairment as a Function of Age and Axial Length - Mark Bullimore, Noel Brennan
- Preliminary Analysis of an Age-Dependent Universal Calculator for Myopia Prevalence - Noel Brennan, Nicole Franklin, Xu Cheng, Youssef Toubouti, Mark Bullimore
- Repeatability of Axial Length Measurement is Superior to Repeatability of Refractive Error - Mark Bullimore, Noel Brennan
- Further Evidence That Absolute Myopia Control Treatment Effect Is Constant Across the Progression Range: Analysis of Standard Deviations - Alex Nixon, Xu Cheng, Youssef Toubouti, Mark Bullimore, Noel Brennan
Johnson & Johnson Vision researchers also presented data from an integrated retrospective analysis of three trials including 107 symptomatic dry eye contact lens patients revealing clinically meaningful and statistically significant (p<0.0001) difference in comfort when they switched to ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day with Hydraluxe™ Technology Contact Lenses.
"After 2 weeks of wear, ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day significantly reduced dryness symptoms and improved comfort among both daily disposable and reusable contact lens wearers who were symptomatic in their habitual lens," noted Meredith Bishop, OD, MS, FAAO, Senior Principal Research Optometrist, Johnson & Johnson Vision. "Based on the findings of this retrospective analysis, habitual wearers who suffer from dry eye symptoms during contact lens wear and contact lens discomfort may significantly benefit from switching to ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day with Hydraluxe™ Technology."
Additional presentations include:
- Integrated Retrospective Analysis of Three Trials Evaluating ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day with HydraLuxe™ Technology in a Symptomatic Population - Meredith Bishop, Chung-kai Sun, Youssef Toubouti, Elizabeth Dow, Caroline Blackie, Chantal Coles-Brennan, Annabelle Gallois-Bernos
- Reduction of Dry Eye Symptoms with Daily Disposable Lens Wear with Senofilcon A (ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day with HydraluxeTM Technology) - Elizabeth Dow, Ping Chen, Jie Xu, Samira Soleymani, Meredith Bishop, Youssef Toubouti, Caroline Blackie, Annabelle Gallois-Bernos
ACUVUE® is the most trusted brand for eye doctors globally4 5, and has built a legacy by making contact lenses that are unbeaten in comfort6 7 8 9 across 44 clinical studies. The Johnson & Johnson Vision team is launching a virtual experience where registered attendees can view interactive videos offering peer-to-peer perspectives on skills and best practices within the “new normal” of the optometric community. Johnson & Johnson Vision Consultants are also available via live chat to share more about the portfolio of products and services and
ACUVUE® Take Comfort promise.10
For more information about Johnson & Johnson Vision at Academy 2020, visit http://jnjvision.isebox.net/aao/2020.
About Johnson & Johnson Vision*
At Johnson & Johnson Vision, part of Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, we have a bold ambition: to change the trajectory of eye health around the world. Through our operating companies, we deliver innovation that enables eye care professionals to create better outcomes for patients throughout their lives, with products and technologies that address unmet needs including refractive error, cataracts and dry eye. In communities with greatest need, we work in collaboration to expand access to quality eye care, and we are committed to helping people see better, connect better and live better. Visit us at www.jjvision.com. Follow @JNJVision on Twitter and Johnson & Johnson Vision on LinkedIn.
About Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies**
At Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, we are helping people live their best lives. Building on more than a century of expertise, we tackle pressing healthcare challenges, and take bold steps that lead to new standards of care while improving people’s healthcare experiences. In surgery, orthopaedics, vision and interventional solutions, we are helping to save lives and paving the way to a healthier future for everyone, everywhere.
*Johnson & Johnson Vision represents the products and services of Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision, Inc., Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc., and the affiliates of both.
** The Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies comprise the surgery, orthopaedics, vision, and interventional solutions businesses within Johnson & Johnson’s Medical Devices segment.
Johnson & Johnson Vision
Johnson & Johnson Vision
Pascale Communications, LLC
ACUVUE® Contact Lenses are indicated for vision correction. As with any contact lens, eye problems, including corneal ulcers, can develop. Some wearers may experience mild irritation, itching or discomfort. Lenses should not be prescribed if patients have any eye infection, or experience eye discomfort, excessive tearing, vision changes, redness or other eye problems. Consult the package insert for complete information. Complete information is also available from Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc., by calling 1-800-843-2020, or by visiting www.jnjvisionpro.com.
1. Holden et al Ophthalmol 2016; 123: 1036.
2. HealthXchange, Common Eye Problems by Age Group, Stats and Care Tips.
3. SingHealth, Eye Check A look at common eye conditions.
4. JJV Data on File 2019. Data Substantiation for ACUVUE® Master Brand Claims Globally.
5. Survey among 1,150 Eye Care Professionals from the United States, United Kingdom, Russia, Japan, South Korea, China, France, and Germany conducted 12/2018 to 1/2019.
6. JJV data on file - Claim for the family of ACUVUE® OASYS Brand Contact Lenses (2-week reusable) and ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day with HydraLuxe™ Technology using clinical trials cited on www.clinicaltrials.gov website. (March 24th, 2020).
7. JJV data on file - Claim for ACUVUE® VITA® with HydraMax™ Technology. Unbeaten in Comfort in Monthly Lens Category —using clinical trials cited on www.clinicaltrials.gov website. (March 27th, 2020).
8. JJV data on file - Unbeaten Comfort of 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST Brand Family of Contact Lenses. (June 24th, 2020).
9. The following ACUVUE Brand Contact Lenses have substantiated unbeaten in comfort claim: ACUVUE® OASYS Brand Family (including daily disposable), 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST Brand Family (within the category of hydrogel daily disposable), and ACUVUE® VITA® Brand spherical only(5)(6)(7).
10. For questions about the Comfort Promise, please visit ACUVUE.com/Get-Contacts/Money-Back-Guarantee for additional terms and conditions and to download the Comfort Promise claim form for complete instructions on how to redeem your money back offer. Mail the completed form, purchase receipts as well as the opened ACUVUE® boxes to the address on the claim form and unopened boxes to your doctor. Offer valid until December 31, 2020.